Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Eddie Cochran

50 years ago today Eddie Cochran was involved in a car accident in England and was taken away from us much to soon.
I remember it distinctly I was a big fan and my young life was shattered again, it was just over a year since Buddy Holly was killed. I think I remember that it was the Easter weekend and I had stayed over at my girlfriends house (chaperoned of course I was only 16), and we heard the news on the radio. I was stunned, and for some reason my girlfriend laughed. That was the end of that relationship, I never saw her again.
Anyway, to commemorate this day here are some great tunes by Eddie.

Have I told you lately that I love you

Eddie Cochran played this concert four days after the deaths of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Big Bopper and 2 days after recording the tribute song "Three Stars"

Cotton Picker

From the 1957 movie Untamed Youth.

20 Flight Rock

From the great 1956 movie The Girl Can't Help It.

On Saturday, April 16, 1960, at about 11:50 p.m., while on tour in the United Kingdom, 21-year-old Eddie Cochran died in a traffic accident in a taxi (a Ford Consul, not, as widely quoted, a London Hackney carriage) traveling through Chippenham, Wiltshire, on the A4. The taxi crashed into a lamp post on Rowden Hill, where a plaque now commemorates the event (no other car was involved). Cochran was thrown through the windscreen, suffered severe head injuries, and was taken to St. Martin's Hospital, Bath, but died at 4:10 p.m. the following day. Songwriter Sharon Sheeley (Eddie's girlfriend) and singer Gene Vincent survived the crash, Vincent sustaining injuries that would shorten his career and affected him for the rest of his life.

The taxi driver, George Martin, was convicted of dangerous driving, fined £50, disqualified from driving for 15 years, and sent to prison for six months.

The car and other items from the crash were impounded at the local police station until a coroners' inquest could be held. At that time, David Harman, better known as Dave Dee of the band Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, was a police cadet at the station. He taught himself to play guitar on Cochran's impounded Gretsch. Coincidentally, earlier in the tour, the same guitar had been carried to the car for Cochran by a young fan called Mark Feld, later to become famous as Marc Bolan of T.Rex and who, in a further coincidence, was also killed while a passenger in a single-car automobile accident.

Eddie Cochran is interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Cypress, California. A posthumous album, My Way, was released in 1964. [Wikipedia]
Post a Comment